There are many books that may be a source of support in addition to counseling and psychotherapy. Some of the books listed here have come from recommendations from clients, colleagues, and others are recommendations we have offered to clients based upon circumstances in their lives. Some of them you may find in your local public library or from online booksellers.
• Adult Children of Alcoholics by Janet G. Woititz
• Adult Children, The Secrets of Dysfunctional Families by John & Linda Friel
• Co-Dependent No More by Melody Beattie
• The Language of Letting Go: Daily Meditations for Co-Dependents
by Melody Beattie
• An Adult Child’s Guide to What’s Normal by John & Linda Friel
• Facing The Fire: Experiencing and Expressing Anger Appropriately by John Lee
• Beyond Anger: A Guide for Men: How to Free Yourself from the Grip of Anger
and Get More Out of Life by Thomas J. Harbin
• Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames by Thich Nhat Hanh
• Get Out of My Life, but First Could You Drive Me & Cheryl to the Mall
by Anthony E. Wolf
• Why Did You Have to Get a Divorce? And When Can I get a Hamster?
by Anthony E. Wolf
• Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman
• I Don’t Want to Talk About It by Terrence Real
• Don’t Be Nice, Be Real: Balancing Passion for Self with Compassion for Others
by Kelly Bryson
• Boundaries, Where You End and I Begin by Anne Katherine
• Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brené Brown
• The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are by Brené Brown
• After The Affair: Healing the Pain and Rebuilding Trust When a Partner has Been Unfaithful by Janice A. Spring
• Shadow Marriage, A Descent Into Intimacy by Paul Dunion
• The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman, Ph.D.
• How Loving Couples Fight by James L. Creighton, Ph.D.
• The Highly Sensitive Person In Love by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.
• You Are The One You’ve Been Waiting For by Richard C. Schwartz
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender
• Loving Someone Gay by Don Clark
• Gay Spirit by Mark Thompson
• Growing Up Gay In a Dysfunctional Family by Rik Isensee
• The Velvet Rage by Alan Downs, Ph.D.
Recovery from Trauma and Abuse
• The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self by Alice Miller
• The Emotional Incest Syndrome, What to do When a Parent’s Love Rules Your Life by Dr. Patricia Love and Jo Robinson
• The Truth Will Set You Free: Overcoming Emotional Blindness and Finding Your True Adult Self by Alice Miller
• Victims No Longer: Men Recovering from Incest and Other Sexual Child Abuse
by Mike Lew
• The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
by Ellen Bass and Laura Davis
• Entering the Thriver Zone: A Seven-Step Guide to Thriving After Abuse
by Susan M. Omilian, JD
• Recovery of Your Inner Child by Lucia Capachione, Ph.D.
• Out of the Shadows: Understanding Sexual Addiction by Patrick J. Carnes PhD
• Cruise Control: Understanding Sex Addiction in Gay Men by Robert Weiss
and Patrick Carnes
General Mental Health
• The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression by Mary Ellen Copeland
• The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne PhD
Links for Information about Mental Health Issues:
Websites to search for a psychotherapist:
Resources for Emotional Healing & Wellness:
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Resources:
Other Health Practitioners: